Friday, June 22, 2012

Camp Surf!



Hey Camp Surf? Hey What?  Hey Camp Surf? Hey What?  Show us how you roll-e-oh.  Show us how you roll-e-oh.  My hands are high, my feet are low and this is how I roll-e-oh!

Oh Camp Surf how I miss you!  You were so good to me.  Your days were full of sunshine, and lessons on kelp, the tides, and visits to the jetty.  Your evenings were engulfed in s'mores, camp songs,  and silly skits.  Your nights were enjoyed with the sound of waves crashing nearby on the shoreline and moonlit walks to the bathroom so very far away.
Kelp Fashion Show
Sea Star at the Jetty
I miss the "family style" meal times with ocean-side views, composting food bins, and transitions set to music; even though we never won the coveted "Tikki" for eating our fruits and vegetables, having great manners, and excellent cleaning skills. (We were robbed!)

"Sugar, ( insert-do, do, - do, do) Oh, Honey Honey (insert-do, do-do, do). You are my candy girl, and you got me wanting you."  (dessert song)

Meals served family style
The egg-drop competition had to be a hi-light for me.  I loved earning materials through competition and then using those hard-earned materials to save our egg from extinction.

Spending a few relaxed afternoons solely on the beach watching the 5th and 6th graders learn how to surf and boogie board was very fun and relaxing too.


I even enjoyed walking and walking and walking all over the San Diego Zoo.


Archery, the climbing wall, gaga game, a visit to the estuary, camp pranks, camp showers, collecting seashells, cleaning the cabins and even being members of a CSI group (cranium, skull, investigators)-so many things accomplished in one week. So much fun, fun, fun!
( I should have been a camp counselor during college, or a camper as a kid!)
Campers wearing mustaches and monocles investigating skulls.


















Yes, it was worth missing the second to last week of school to tag-a-long with my amazing 5th grader on her school field trip to San Diego, California, and spend a week at the YMCA Camp Surf.  I loved it!

The withdrawals have been tough though, although it is always nice to come home and sleep in your own bed.

And, this is how I roll-e-oh!            
                                                     The End!


No comments: